Monday, June 18, 2007

Is it an emergency if it happens all the time?

A brief rant:

I frequently use taxicabs to get around. More frequently than I'd like, to be honest, but that's another story.

There are only so many things a guy can do to kill time while riding in a taxi, so I've spent a couple of seconds looking at the customer's "bill of rights" as set out by the local taxi commission. A customer has the right to ask the driver to turn the air conditioning on and off; to direct the driver on the route to be taken, and a bunch of other motherhood-type rights.

One expectation we clients are also allowed is that the cabbie will only use his/her cellphone in an emergency. So why is it that nearly every cabbie I've dealt with over the past year or so has a headset welded to their ear? And why is it that they are all so deeply engaged in conversation all the time? I can't figure out to whom they could possibly be talking for such long periods. It strikes me that all the attention they are paying to their long, voluble and (sometimes) high-volume conversation is attention that they are taking away from, you know, the "driving the vehicle and keeping the client safe and comfortable" part.

Nearly every time I get out of the cab at the end of a ride I promise myself I'm going to write to the commission and complain. I've yet to do it.

*harrumph*

3 comments:

Janey Llewellin said...

I know!!!!! They're always on the phone. But I didn't know it was a 'rule' not to!

Hmmmm... plotting revenge...

Janey Llewellin said...

hey,

i sent you an email but i don't know if i decifered your secret coding so maybe it never got to you!

yes, let's go for a drink. my email address is janeyllewellin@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Its the right to a silent ride that I tend to invoke.