Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Back home

It's been a while since my last rant.

I went to Calgary last weekend for my nephew's wedding and shot about three hundred (!) digital photos. Much to my chagrin, the fact that I'm not a pro photog is still painfully evident. I won't blame my gear (notwithstanding the fact that I still don't have the swishy flash diffuser I mentioned in my previous post "Sizes"); nor will I blame the bloody awful lighting (a large high-ceilinged, darkish room with HUGE picture windows facing south and west... at sunset!). After all, it's a poor workman who blames his tools. Well, I had good tools and I still suck. The upside of shooting three hundred digital pics, though, is that I can get rid of the chaff and still have a reasonable number of pics that look good. Hopefully said nephew and his lovely new bride will be happy with my work.

I started thinking - I mean really thinking - about my summer holidays today. Frankly I should have been concentrating on something else, like perhaps work, but hey, that's life in the big city. I'm hoping to take three weeks off in July. And I mean off; In the past I've taken my laptop or *gasp* my BlackBerry wth me on holiday, and I usually wind up spending half my so-called time off, well, on. Last year I took five days (can you believe it? five whole days!) off without an electronic leash of any kind. It was glorious, although admittedly it came as a bit of a shock to discover that the world actually continued to turn without me being at my desk. Talk about an epiphany...

No comments: